Having a pet is like having a child (and I don’t mean this to offend those with kids). It’s just that pet owners must provide and care for their pet the same way a parent would care for their child. It kinda makes me believe that ‘if you’re a good pet parent, you’d be a great human parent someday’. If that’s the case, I’d probably spoil my kid! If I splurge on Toffee now, what more on my own future kid? 🙂
I’m no professional pet owner but I try to do my part: provide good dog food, play with her, teach her tricks, make her socialize with other dogs, go for walks, etc. One thing I do love is shopping for pet supplies and thingamajigs. Aside from local pet stores and supermarkets, another place to buy cheap pet stuff is at Cartimar in Taft, Manila. They usually sell in bulk to other resellers that’s why they sell cheap as compared to malls plus you can ask for a discount.
Here’s a rundown of what Toffee (or your dog) would need:
(clockwise from top; note: prices are based on Cartimar prices and are approximates):
1. Bath soap – this brand smells good though I might change to liquid/ cream soap to give Toffee that silky, shiny coat (P70)
2. Brewers Yeast – pets also need vitamins and I’ve found this very helpful especially in repelling ticks and fleas. Garlic in their blood helps in keeping those yucky creatures away! (P250)
3. Pet cologne – yes, dogs need perfume too! This brand is actually organic so I tried it and thankfully, Toffee didn’t have any allergic reaction to it. (P110)
4. Chew treats – every dog, especially puppies, need to chew on things to help them with their teething so I provide her with chew bones. (P60 & P110)
5. Squeaky ball – Golden Retrievers, as the name implies, are great ‘fetch’ dogs. Toffee is no different. Without teaching her how to, we were able to play ‘fetch’ since she was a pup. Squeaky toys are better than tennis balls because (1) the plastic is easier to clean from all the dirt and dog saliva, (2) the sound makes them crazy, err, excited and (3) it’s easier to spot (P50)
6. Frontline – another tick and flea repellant, I used this when Toffee was infested with them and this is by far the best. You just spray it on their coat and watch as the little creatures disperse (then you kill them.) (P250+)
7. Bearing powder deodorant – this is like their version of baby powder. Use it after they take a bath. This is what they usually use in grooming shops. Trust me, they smell so good afterwards! (P150)
8. Nail clipper – this was actually bought in the US. You’re very own pet nail clipper
9. Doggy treats – you can never have too many treats especially since (1) it’s great as a reward for teaching tricks, (2) it helps in cleaning and keeping their teeth healthy and (3) minimizes doggy bad breath. Another place I found that sells affordable treats is in S&R. (ranges from P100-P250)
10. Pet house cleaner – a cleaning agent to help keep you pet’s area clean and sanitized. (P100)
Next two photos below are from a store in Cartimar. See all the pet goodies???
Make sure to stock up on doggy essentials! Here’s how to get to the Cartimar Shopping Center.